Standoff situation in Three Rivers ends with suspect’s surrender

After an almost four-hour standoff with police Tuesday, a Three Rivers man surrendered to authorities around 6:45 p.m., bringing a peaceful resolution to an otherwise adrenaline charged incident.

Following Tuesday’s standoff, St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough told Watershed Voice an individual came to the residence — located in the 100 block of 5th Avenue — around 3 p.m. to collect some property. During the exchange approximately two shots were fired, both reportedly coming from the same firearm. The suspect then barricaded himself inside the home and authorities were called.

McDonough said the suspect was alone in the residence, and to his knowledge no one was hurt in the incident.

“I’m so proud of our law enforcement,” McDonough said. “They went in there not knowing what they were going into, and I’m very glad they’re all safe.”

The suspect’s identity has not been confirmed by authorities at this time but family members at the scene identified the man in question as Kevin Carpenter. During the incident, Carpenter spoke to his mother and daughter, then a negotiator before eventually surrendering.

A crowd of more than 60 people gathered at the scene of a police standoff on the 100 block of Fifth Avenue in Three Rivers Tuesday.

Approximately 60 people watched the scene unfold, and were within close proximity of one another despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The crowd was eventually pushed back to the other side of Portage Avenue to ensure their safety.

Three Rivers Police were assisted at the scene by the St. Joseph County Sheriff’s Department, St. Joseph County Special Response Team, and Michigan State Police, as well as units from White Pigeon and Colon.

Carpenter is expected to be arraigned and formally charged sometime Wednesday in St. Joseph County District Court. Watershed Voice will continue to cover this story as it develops, and provide updates when possible.

Alek Haak-Frost is the executive editor of Watershed Voice.