Kevin Carpenter arraigned on multiple charges related to Three Rivers standoff

Kevin Carpenter, 54, of Three Rivers was arraigned in St. Joseph County District Court Thursday on multiple charges related to a nearly four-hour standoff with police in Three Rivers on Tuesday, April 28.

Carpenter was charged with one count of felonious assault, two counts of resisting an officer, and one count of careless discharge of a firearm, according to St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough. As of Thursday afternoon he remained lodged at St. Joseph County Jail on a $3,000 cash surety bond.

The 54-year-old, who is represented by Attorney Christine Yancey, has a pre-exam conference scheduled for Tuesday, May 12, and a preliminary conference scheduled for Tuesday, May 19.

According to the Three Rivers Police Department, officers were dispatched to a shots fired complaint on Tuesday at a residence in the 100 block of Fifth Avenue, where a victim reported Carpenter had fired off shots at him and his vehicle. Carpenter allegedly came outside with what police describe as a “long gun,” and further threatened the victim and the passengers in his vehicle.

Upon arriving at the scene officers requested that Carpenter come outside to speak with them but Carpenter refused, and barricaded himself inside. A search warrant was then obtained for the residence, and the St. Joseph County Special Response Team was called into action. A negotiator was also brought in to get the suspect to surrender peacefully.

After nearly four hours Carpenter surrendered to police, and he was taken into custody. After Carpenter was apprehended, authorities confirmed he was the lone occupant at the residence, and no one was hurt during the incident.

The Three Rivers Police Department was assisted at the scene by the St. Joseph County Sheriff’s Department, Michigan State Police, White Pigeon Police Department, Three Rivers Fire Department and the St. Joseph County Special Response Team.

Alek Haak-Frost is the executive editor of Watershed Voice.